Thursday, December 2, 2010

Boundaries: In the Spirit of Finals

So I asked Pastor Dave a while back for some recommended reading that I could do in addition to my devotionals and something I could go through with Jo. Out of the list he gave me, we decided to tackle Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend together. Cloud and Townsend talk about the different types of boundaries and for the sake of this post, the one I want to focus on is time.

"Taking time off from a person, or a project, can be a way of regaining ownership over some out-of-control aspect of your life where boundaries need to be set."

Further into it, Cloud and Townsend bring up how investing time into people and projects are usually a good thing, over dedication can lead to obsession. Stepping away to regain control of yourself in terms of your identity in people or project is needed.

Ecclesiastes 3:5-6
"A time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing."

This is my feeble attempt to set a boundary for myself so that I am not overwhelmed by the one hundred plus pages that need to be written by the end of this week. My time to regain a little sanity and spend it with Him, and not talking on the phone, sitting in front of GChat, or playing a game of Starcraft to get my mind off things. A sister reminded me earlier this week during Overflow practice how easy it is to lose ourself in our studies and not in God during the season of finals which is ironic because its almost Christmas.

I encourage you guys to try setting a small boundary for yourself as well :). Five minutes out of a study break or something. Good luck with finals and/or prep for them! We're almost done guys!

3 comments: