Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year and New Things




I think we all have a part of us that deeply desires for that crazy holiday or vacation memory that one time from the rest. Since I could ever remember, I always had Christmas Eve with my Dad's side of the family in Chicago at my grandparents' place. Opening present at the stroke of midnight and getting barely any sleep then spending the rest of Christmas Day with my Mom's side. New Years would always be at my aunt's house and ironically enough they moved to the east coast the same time my family did so that tradition was kept. We would always stay up waiting for the ball to drop on TV and cheer with a glass of champagne. Despite the traditions my family has and how much fun I have had taking part in them, I have always wanted that crazy holiday to remember for a lifetime. It could be anything. Literally... ANYTHING!!! Something memorable like a trip to the beach late at night with good friends, crashing your car into your parents (which actually happened three new years ago), or even something as hopelessly romantic as a special kiss under the mistletoe.

This holiday was not crazy, but it definitely has been memorable and different from all of the other holidays in years past. I mean aside from discovering that my mom has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, there was no trip to Chicago for Christmas, or sleepover in New Jersey for New Years. I'm spending my time this holiday with my parents and sister in Maryland. Aside from a change in location for the holidays, the festiveness nor the decor was present. My dad's new apartment has no tree, no lights, and nothing green or red, with exception for the red and green bell peppers in the fridge and my dad's road bike. For Christmas dinner, we ate out at a seafood restaurant near the docks in Annapolis which was really nice but it did not have that Christmas feel to it. I didn't really mind it because I have not had a chance to spend time with family or the opportunity to have such a nice meal.

That brings me to now, the New Year's Eve of 2008 changing to the year of 2009. There is no champagne, or celebration which is definitely different. But the biggest thing missing is my family because they decided to fall asleep a good hour or so before midnight. Surprisingly, I'm using this time to reflect.

For some reason a sermon from OIL 2007 came to my mind. I know the phrase "home is where the heart is." is a very cliche line but that is exactly what this sermon was about. In the Old Testament, Moses was constantly without a home, he was born, raised, and groomed in so many places that one would lose track. Even near the end of his story, Moses did not enter the Promised Land which he lead his people to. Of course he went to a better place and so on, but that's besides the point.

I feel like this uneventful holiday break is my time for reflection and my calling card. I feel like I'm being called to never be content with anything whether it is where I live, who I am, or where I am spiritually. I guess instead of riding the holiday traditions, a time is coming where new ones need to be made.

Happy New Years! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment