Friday, January 23, 2009

Beauty in the Breakdown

Maybe these events happen because of the troubled times our country is in with the economy, but I've never seen anything like this anywhere else. Philadelphia is so unique with its diversity. The types of people you see are so varied from what they wear, and how they wear it, to how they look. I live in Center City and commute to school, and get to see all the different types of people. On my way to the train station to get to school yesterday morning I saw cops chasing, and handcuffing a lady who was crying. For those of you who know Philly, you might laugh at me writing about this because it's Philly and we do have a high crime rate. However, as I saw the police cuff the woman and forced her down on the floor, I heard their conversation. The lady was apparently trying to kill herself and someone had called the cops so they could prevent her from hurting herself. It was quite shocking to see, and on my way to school the thought occurred to me "Welcome to Philly." It's so sad to see what the world has come to in this time and place.

On my way home from work last night, I got another taste of Philadelphia and what it has to offer. There was a young teen girl with her baby, and her friend was with her on the train. Some of you might think that it is sad to see a girl who probably younger than me with a kid. However, the story does not revolve around underage parents but the people surrounding them on the train. Next to the two girls and the baby were two elder ladies, and across from them a very professional looking business man, and next to him was me. We were all looking at the adorable baby, and making faces at it with hopes that it would laugh or something. Just the little train ride with the really really cute baby brought 6 people, who would never otherwise talk to one another, together. I got off the train and walked home with the revelation "Only in Philadelphia."

It was so amazing to see two completely different events in the same day that reminded me just of how broken and beautiful the world we live in is. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment